The Encyclopedia Americana (1906)/Munich, University of
Munich, University of, an important German university, located m Munich, Bavaria. It had its beginning in the Studium Generale of Ingolstadt, founded by the Emperor Ludwig, with a special bull of approval by the Pope, Pius II., in 1459. The University of Ingolstadt opened its doors in 1472; and after more than three centuries of continuous struggle and growth, and during which time it remained in the faith and under the influence of the Church of Rome, it was removed by Ludwig Maximilian in 1800 to Landshut. In 1826 it was reorganized and transferred to Munich, where with increased facilities it has grown steadily in attendance and influence. The university has faculties of theology, law, medicine, philosophy, political science, etc., and numerous seminars and clinics, a botanical garden, museums, laboratories, and an observatory; and has access to the libraries, museums, and art treasures of the city. The University Library contains almost half a million volumes, besides many manuscripts, pamphlets and records. The professors and instructors number about 200 and more than 4,000 students are in average attendance. The annual income averages $250,000, in large part contributed by the government. Affiliated with the university are the Collegium Georgianum, for the education of Roman Catholic priests, founded in 1494, and the Maximilianum, a secondary school, founded 1852.