The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Monrovia (Liberia)
MONROVIA, mŭn-rō'vĭ-ạ, Liberia, the capital of the West African Republic, a commercial and seaport town, on Cape Mesurado near the mouth of the Saint Paul's River. It has regular steamship service by British and Spanish vessels, direct cable communication with Europe and New York, and two wireless stations. It exports rubber, palm kernels and oil, pissara fibre, cocoa, coffee, ivory, ginger, camwood and annatto. A college is maintained by the government and one by Methodists; missions are carried on by Catholics and American Protestants, and the city is the see of a Protestant Episcopal bishop. Monrovia was named after James Monroe, President of the United States. Pop. (with Krutown) 6,000.