The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Nordhausen
NORDHAUSEN, nôrd'how-zĕn, Germany, city in the province of Saxony, on the Zorge, 40 miles north-northwest, of Erfurt. It is at the base of the Hartz Mountains and the west end of the fertile “Goldene Aue,” that is, “golden plain.” It has 70 large distilleries of corn brandy (“Nordhauser schnaps”), breweries, tanneries, chemical works and tobacco factories and a great export trade in ham and other hog products. A quaint town-hall, a Gothic cathedral and the church of Saint Blasius, which has two paintings by Lucas Cranach, are all of interest. It became a free imperial city in 1253. Pop. 32,564.