The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Phillipsburg
PHILLIPSBURG, fĭl'ĭps-bėrg, N. J., town in Warren County, on the Delaware River, and on the Central ot New Jersey, the Pennsylvania, the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western, Lehigh and Hudson and the Lehigh Valley railroads, about 60 miles in direct line west of Newark. It was settled in 1749, and in 1861 was incorporated. It has good water power and excellent facilities for transportation. The chief manufacturing establishments are foundries and furnaces, railroad shops for the five railroads, horseshoe works, boiler and drill works, machine shops, stove works, sheet iron works, silk mills and large coal yards. Its prominent public buildings are its municipal buildings, several business edifices, the churches and schools. It has several private business schools, public and parish schools and a public library. The government is administered under a revised charter of 1875 and is vested in a commission of five, which holds office for a term of four years. Pop. 15,652.