The New International Encyclopædia/Beaver Falls
BEAVER FALLS. A borough in Beaver County, Penn., 31 miles northwest of Pittsburg; on the Beaver River, near its confluence with the Ohio, and on railroads of the Pennsylvania and Erie systems (Map: Pennsylvania, A 3). It is in a region which abounds in natural gas and coal, and has manufactures of steel, iron, wire, axes, shovels, glassware, tubing, files, pottery, etc. The borough is the seat of Geneva College (Reformed Presbyterian), organized in 1848, and contains fine post-office and municipal buildings, and Riverview Park. Beaver Falls was originally called Brighton, and was chartered as a borough in 1868. It is governed by a mayor, elected for three years, and a city council, which elects administrative officials. Population, in 1890, 9735; in 1900, 10,054.