The New International Encyclopædia/Charlestown (West Virginia)
CHARLESTOWN. A city and county-seat of Jefferson County, W. Va., 55 miles northwest of Washington, D. C., on the Baltimore and Ohio and the Norfolk and Western railroads (Map: West Virginia, G 2). It is in a fertile agricultural district, has deposits of limestone and iron ore in the vicinity, and manufactures brass fittings, bridges, harness, collars, fly-nets, and various wooden products, cigars, etc. The city is known as a summer resort. It has a fine court-house and jail. Among its educational institutions are Stephenson Seminary and Powhatan College, both for young ladies. Charlestown was settled about 1750, and was first incorporated in 1786. It was here that John Brown was tried, condemned, and hanged December 2, 1859. On October 18, 1863, a Confederate cavalry division, under General Imboden, captured the place and secured 424 prisoners and large quantities of military stores; but, on the approach of a superior Union force, almost immediately withdrew. Population in 1890, 2287; in 1900, 2392.