The New International Encyclopædia/Delaware College
DELAWARE COLLEGE. An educational institution founded at Newark, Del., in 1833. In 1859 the college was closed and was not reopened until 1870, when it was made a beneficiary of the Congressional act of 1862 granting public lands to the several States for the purpose of establishing colleges of agriculture and mechanic arts. Under a further Congressional act, known as the ‘Hatch Bill,’ an agricultural experiment station was established at the college in 1887; and under an act of 1890 the college receives annually some $20,000 additional. The college confers degrees in arts, science, and the technical sciences. In 1902 the college property amounted to $250,000, and the total annual income to $45,000. At the same time the library contained 13,000 volumes.