The New International Encyclopædia/Hadley
HAD'LEY. A town, including several villages, in Hampshire County, Mass., three miles northeast of Northampton; on the Connecticut River, and on the Boston and Maine Railroad (Map: Massachusetts, B 3). It is in an agricultural region, and has two public libraries. The government is administered by town meetings. Population, in 1890, 1669; in 1900, 1789. Settled as Norwottock in 1659, Hadley was incorporated under its present name (from Hadley, England) in 1661. The regicides Goffe and Whalley were concealed here for some years after 1664; and there is a tradition that in 1675 the former suddenly appeared, put himself at the head of the people, and saved the town from an Indian attack. Consult Judd, History of Hadley (Northampton, 1863).