The New International Encyclopædia/Hartford City
HARTFORD CITY. A city and the county-seat of Blackford County, Ind., 72 miles northeast of Indianapolis; on the Lake Erie and Western and the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis railroads (Map: Indiana, D 2). It is supplied with natural gas, and oil interests are being developed; there are manufactures of paper and pulp, strawboard, glass, iron, flour, hubs and spokes, etc. The water-works are owned by the municipality. Population, in 1890, 2287; in 1900, 5912.