The New International Encyclopædia/Iowa, State University of
IOWA, State University of. An educational institution for both sexes in Iowa City, Iowa, organized with an endowment by Congress of two townships of land, to which has been added a permanent annual State appropriation of $125,000, and a tax of one-fifth of a mill for building purposes, making a total annual income of over $402,000, including tuition fees. The institution was opened in 1855 and reorganized in 1860. The buildings are seventeen in number, and with the grounds are valued at about $700,000. The library suffered the loss of 25,000 volumes by a fire in 1897, and in 1902 contained about 63,000 volumes and a large number of pamphlets. The work of the university is organized in a college of liberal arts, colleges of law, medicine, homœopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy, a graduate department, the Iowa School of Political and Social Science, and two hospitals. The college of liberal arts confers the degrees of B.A., B.Ph., and B.S. The graduate college confers the degrees of M.A., M.S., Ph.D., civil engineer, and electrical engineer. The college of liberal arts maintains a summer session for teachers and a summer school for library training. The university provides public lectures and extension courses, and is in close touch with the educational institutions of the State through its system of accredited high schools. The attendance in 1902 (excluding duplicates) was 1512. The faculty, instructors, and administrative staff numbered 165. The publications of the university include a Natural History Bulletin, a Law Bulletin, University Studies in Psychology, and Studies in Sociology, Economics, Politics, Languages, and History. The control of the university is vested in a board of regents, consisting of the Governor of the State, the Superintendent of Public Instruction, and eleven members chosen by the General Assembly of Iowa.