The New International Encyclopædia/Kansas, University of
KANSAS, University of. A coeducational State institution at Lawrence, Kan., established by act of the Legislature in 1864, and opened in 1866. During the first few years of its existence its work was confined almost entirely to a preparatory department, the first college class graduating in 1873. The university comprises a graduate school; schools of arts, law, medicine, pharmacy, engineering, and fine arts; and the University Geological Survey. It confers the bachelor's degree in arts, science, law, medicine, music, and painting; the master's degree in arts and science; the doctor's degree in philosophy; and the degree of civil and electrical engineer. Students are admitted without examination on certificates of work done in accredited preparatory schools, and much freedom is allowed in the selection of courses. Tuition is free to residents of Kansas, but a small fee is required from students from other States. In 1902 the student enrollment was 1233, including 69 in the graduate department and 619 in the school of arts. The number of instructors and lecturers was 81. The library contained 37,764 volumes. The university comprised 50 acres, with 11 college buildings, seven of which were erected by the State and four by private gift. The buildings are valued at $550,000, and the natural history collection at $200,000. The endowment was $145,000, the income $195,000, and the total university property was valued at $1,000,000. The government of the university is vested in a board of seven regents, six of whom are appointed by the Governor for a term of four years. The seventh member is the chancellor of the university, who is elected by the remaining members of the board.