The New International Encyclopædia/Müller, Johann Gotthard von
MÜLLER, Johann Gotthard von (1747-1830). A German line engraver, born at Bernhausen, near Stuttgart. He at first studied under the Court painter Guibal, but, developing a talent for engraving, went to Paris in 1770, where for six years he studied under Wille. He won a number of prizes there, and was elected a member of the French Academy. In 1776 Duke Charles recalled him to Stuttgart, where he taught for nine years, and whence he was summoned to Paris to engrave a portrait of Louis XVI., after Duplessis. Next in importance to this is his engraving of Trumbull's “Battle of Bunker Hill.” On his return to Stuttgart he became professor of engraving. He was elected a member of the principal European academies, and was knighted in 1818. He engraved thirty-three plates in all, of which, besides those mentioned, the best are: “Madonna della Seggiola,” after Raphael; “Saint Catharine with Two Angels,” after Leonardo da Vinci; “Schiller,” after the portrait by Graf; and “Saint Cecilia,” after Domenichino.