The New International Encyclopædia/New Philadelphia

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

NEW PHILADELPHIA. A city and the county-seat of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, 100 miles south of Cleveland; on the Tuscarawas River, the Ohio Canal, and the Cleveland, Lorain and Wheeling and the Pennsylvania railroads (Map: Ohio, H 4). There are mining interests, and manufactures of steel, canned goods, roofing tile, woolen goods, carriages, flour, brooms, and pressed, stamped, and enameled goods. The principal attractions of the city are Springer's Park and Shorenbraun Springs. Settled in 1805, New Philadelphia was first incorporated three years later. The government is vested in a mayor, who holds office for two years, and a unicameral council. Town meetings are held when required by matters of general interest. Population, in 1890, 4456; in 1900, 6213.