The New International Encyclopædia/Newberry
NEW′BERRY. A town and the county-seat of Newberry County, S. C., 43 miles west-northwest of Columbia; on the Southern and the Atlantic Coast Line railroads (Map: South Carolina, C 2). It has a fine city hall and court house, and Newberry College (Lutheran), which was opened in 1858. The centre of a productive cotton-growing section, Newberry carries on a considerable trade, and manufactures cotton goods, cottonseed oil, fertilizers, coffins, etc. The government is administered, under a charter of 1894, by an annually elected mayor and a unicameral council. The water-works and electric light plant are owned and operated by the municipality. Population, in 1890, 3020; in 1900, 4607.