The New International Encyclopædia/Newbury
NEW′BURY. A municipal borough and market town in Berkshire, England, on the Kennet, 17 miles southwest of Reading (Map: England, E 5). Trade in agricultural produce and malting are the principal industries, and an annual wool market is held. The chief buildings are the church, built in the reign of Henry VII., and the Corn Exchange. The town owns real estate, markets, and the gas works. It dates from the Roman period, and was a gift of the Conqueror to Ernulf de Hesdin. Newbury is best known for two hard-fought but indecisive battles between the Royalists and Parliamentarian forces in September, 1643, and in October, 1644. On the battlefield is a handsome memorial to Lords Falkland, Sutherland, and Carnarvon, Royalists, who fell in 1643. Population, in 1901, 11,061. Consult Money, History of Newbury (Oxford, 1887).