The New International Encyclopædia/Newport
NEW′PORT. A market-town and river-port in Monmouthshire, England, 20 miles southwest of Monmouth, on the Usk, four miles from the Bristol Channel, and 12 miles northeast of Cardiff (Map: England, C 5). It has brass and iron foundries, breweries and pottery works, and manufactures of telegraph and railway supplies and wagons, india-rubber, and gutta percha. Iron ships are also built here. The dock accommodation covers 80 acres, and it has an important shipping trade in coal and iron. The town has fine buildings. Prominent among them are the town hall and Saint Woollos, one of the most curious churches in England. The municipality owns much real estate, the water-works, electric lighting plant, tramways, baths, slaughter houses, markets, cemeteries, provides technical instruction and cottage allotments, and maintains a free library, museum, parks, isolation hospital, and a fire brigade. The town is first mentioned at the beginning of the tenth century, and received its first charter from Edward II. The towers and the central mass remain of the castle, built about 1130 by Robert, Earl of Gloucester. Population, in 1891, 54,707; in 1901, 67,290.