The New International Encyclopædia/Richmond (Indiana)
RICHMOND. A city and the county-seat of Wayne County, Ind., 60 miles east of Indianapolis, on the Whitewater River, here crossed by iron bridges, and on the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis, the Grand Rapids and Indiana, and the Cincinnati, Richmond and Muncie railroads (Map: Indiana, E 3). It is the seat of Earlham College (Orthodox Friends), opened in 1847, and has the Morrison-Reeves Library (public) with 27,000 volumes, and the Richmond Law Library. The Eastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane is here, also Saint Stephen's Hospital, and homes for orphans and for women. There are fine public school buildings, including a large high school, and among other public edifices of note are the city hall and the county court-house. Glen Miller Park comprises about 135 acres. The yearly meeting of the Orthodox Friends of Indiana is held in Richmond. The city is the commercial centre of a fertile agricultural section, and is important also for its manufactures, which, in the census year of 1900, represented capital to the amount of $5,175,000, and had an output valued at $5,282,000. The chief products include threshing machines, traction engines, grain drills, lawn mowers, carriages and wagons, steam engines and boilers, church furniture, desks, pianos, brick, paper, paper bags, flour, sawed lumber, etc. Laid out in 1816, Richmond was incorporated two years later as a town, and in 1840 received a city charter. It is situated on the old National Road. Population, in 1890, 16,608; in 1900, 18,226.