The New International Encyclopædia/Salem (Ohio)

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

SALEM. A city in Columbiana County, Ohio, 70 miles southeast of Cleveland; on the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne and Chicago, and the Pittsburg, Lisbon and Western railroads (Map: Ohio, J 4). It has a public library. Salem is the centre of a coal-mining region, and manufactures cornices, engines, steel, wire nails, pumps, tools, feed cutters, riveting machines, china, stoves, tile, brick, furniture, etc. The government is vested in a mayor chosen biennially, a unicameral council, and boards of public service and public safety. Settled in 1807 Salem was incorporated as a village in 1830, and was chartered as a city in 1887. It was a station of the underground railway (q.v.) before the Civil War. Population, in 1890, 5780; in 1900, 7582.