The New International Encyclopædia/Salem (Virginia)

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

SALEM. A town and the county-seat of Roanoke County, Va., seven miles west of Roanoke; on the Roanoke River, and on the Norfolk and Western Railroad (Map: Virginia, D 4). The scenery afforded by the Alleghany and Blue Ridge Mountains in the vicinity of Salem is very beautiful. The town is the seat of Roanoke College (Lutheran), opened in 1853; and has a Lutheran and a Baptist orphanage. Farming, stock-raising, and fruit-growing are the leading industries of the surrounding district. There are deposits of iron, and several sulphur springs. Salem manufactures leather, wagons, agricultural implements, machinery, brick, mattresses, woolen goods, etc. The government is vested in a mayor, chosen biennially, and a unicameral council. The water-works and electric light plant are owned and operated by the municipality. Settled in 1802, Salem was incorporated in 1836, and received its present charter in 1892. The town stands on land originally granted by George III. to Andrew Lewis. Population, in 1890, 3279; in 1900, 3412.