The New International Encyclopædia/South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition
SOUTH CAROLINA INTER-STATE AND WEST INDIAN EXPOSITION. An exposition held in Charleston, South Carolina, from December 1, 1901, to June 2, 1902. The site chosen covered an area of about 250 acres. The principal buildings were: Administration, Agriculture, Art, Auditorium, Commerce, Cotton Palace, Fisheries, Machinery, Mines and Forestry, Negro, Transportation, and Women's. The larger buildings were constructed in the Spanish Renaissance style of architecture, and were finished in staff, coated with a dull white tint that gave the name of Ivory City to the grounds. There were also State buildings erected by Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, New York, and Pennsylvania, city buildings representing Cincinnati and Philadelphia, and special structures devoted to the exhibits of Cuba, Porto Rico, and Guatemala. The grounds were adorned with statuary, among them six original historical groups, situated in the Court of Palaces, and including “The Aztec,” by Louis A. Gudebrod; “The Negro,” by Charles A. Lopez; and “The Huguenot,” by Miss Elsie Ward. The total attendance was 674,086; the cost of the exposition was $1,250,000, while the receipts were $313,000.