The New International Encyclopædia/Tennessee, University of
TENNESSEE, University of. A coeducational State institution at Knoxville, Tenn., founded in 1794 as Blount College. Its title was changed in 1807 to East Tennessee College, in 1840 to East Tennessee University, and in 1879 to its present name. The institution comprises the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts and the university proper. The college has an agricultural department with a four years' course and a short course for farmers; an engineering department with four years' courses in mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering and chemistry; a literary department; and an industrial department for colored students (Knoxville College). The university consists of an academic department with courses for the graduate degrees of M.A. and M.S. and professional courses in engineering, law, medicine, and dentistry, the medical and dental departments being situated in Nashville. University extension work is carried on by means of teachers' institutes, farmers' institutes and conventions, and conferences on education. A summer school and a department of education have also been established. The university has a liberal system of accredited scholars whose certificates are accepted in place of the entrance examinations. The State has established 275 free scholarships in the academic department, and one free scholarship is given to each accredited school outside the State. The attendance in 1903 was 756 and the faculty numbered 120. The library contained about 20,000 volumes. The endowment in that year was $425,000 and the income about $103,716.29. The grounds and buildings were valued at $491,929.98.