The New International Encyclopædia/Texas, University of

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TEXAS, University of. A coeducational institution at Austin, Texas, with a medical department at Galveston, founded upon a grant of 1,000,000 acres of land by the Legislature in 1876. In 1883 an additional million acres was set apart and the university was opened. The medical building at Galveston was completed in 1890, when the department was opened and the John Sealey Hospital, presented the previous year, was occupied. The medical buildings were in great part rebuilt after the disastrous Galveston flood of 1900. Besides the medical department the university embraces the department of literature, sciences, and arts, offering the degrees of B.A., B.Lit., B.S., M.A., and M.S.; the department of engineering, conferring the degrees of civil engineer and engineer of mines; and the department of law, conferring the degrees of LL.B. and LL.M. New departments in electricity and mechanical engineering were established in 1903, when it was decided to give no degree for undergraduate work after 1906 except that of B.A. Two summer schools are conducted at Austin during June and July. In 1902 the student attendance was 1378, and the faculty numbered 109. The library had 40,000 volumes. The endowment was $1,363,000 and the income $275,303.