The New International Encyclopædia/West Virginia University
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY. A co-educational State institution of higher learning at Morgantown, W. Va., founded in 1868. It absorbed the West Virginia Agricultural College (founded 1867), the Monongahela Academy (founded 1814), and the Woodburn Seminary. It now comprises colleges of arts and sciences, engineering and mechanical arts, agriculture, and law, schools of music, military science and tactics, and commerce, and preparatory schools at Morgantown, Montgomery, and Keyser, with an attendance of 1099 students in 1903, and 70 instructors. Its principal sources of support are the land grant of 1862, the Morrill and Hatch funds, and biennial State appropriations, the total income in 1902 being $218,124. The university has a campus of 50 acres bordering the Monongahela River, and a farm of about 100 acres for the use of the agricultural experiment station and the college of agriculture. The buildings and grounds were valued in 1900 at $675,000. The library contained 25,000 volumes.