The New International Encyclopædia/Wyoming, University of

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

WYOMING, University of. A coeducational State institution at Laramie, Wyo., founded in 1887 on the Federal land grants. Its departments include colleges of liberal arts, agriculture, and mechanical engineering, a school of commerce, a school of mines, and normal, graduate, and preparatory departments. It confers the bachelor's degree in arts, sciences, and pedagogy, and gives the master's degree for advanced work. The university receives $15,000 from the Federal Government for researches in agriculture, $25,000 for instruction in the schools of agriculture and mechanic arts, and a State tax of one-quarter mill, producing about $9000, besides occasional appropriations for buildings. In 1903 it had 19 instructors, 200 students, about evenly divided between the academic and preparatory departments, and a library of 16,000 volumes. In that year its income was $70,000; the college property was valued at $250,000 and the buildings and grounds at about $200,000.