The New Student's Reference Work/Delaware, Ohio

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Delaware, Ohio, a city, the seat of Delaware County, on the Whetstone River and on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis, the Columbus, Sandusky & Hocking and other railroads, 23 miles north of Columbus. It was incorporated in 1827, and in 1844 became the seat of the Ohio Wesleyan University of the Methodist Episcopal body. It has good churches, schools and a public library, and is noted for its mineral springs, which have remarkable medicinal properties. Its industries, besides railroad repair-shops, embrace foundries and clay-works, manufactures of chairs, carriages, gloves, woolens, flour, lumber and building-material. Population, 9,076.