The New Student's Reference Work/Epping Forest
Ep′ping Forest, where kings hunted in the olden days, once covered all of Essex (England) , and extended almost to London. Inclosures slowly curtailed it from 60,000 acres to 4,000 in 1871, when London undertook to preserve what was left and to recover the later inclosures. In 1882, at a cost of $2,000,000, 5,600 acres of Epping Forest were opened to the public. Easily reached from London, its nine square miles of almost unbroken woodland, which at High Beech or Queen Victoria’s wood, rises 759 feet above sea-level, form one of the largest and most beautiful pleasure-grounds in Europe. See E. N. Buxton’s Epping Forest.