The New Student's Reference Work/Riga
Riga (rē′gȧ), capital of Livonia, and the third seaport of Russia, lies on Dwina River, seven miles from its mouth and 350 from St. Petersburg. The old town has narrow streets and medieval houses and stores; but the suburbs are laid out in broad streets with handsome buildings. Manufactures are numerous and varied and employ several thousand people. Riga was founded in 1201 by Albert, bishop of Livonia, and soon became a first-rate commercial town and a member of the Hanseatic League. It belonged to Poland from 1561 till it was taken by Gustavus Adolphus in 1621, and in 1710 it was finally annexed to Russia. Population 318,400.