The New Student's Reference Work/Tennessee, University of
Tennessee, University of, now at Knoxville, was established in 1794 as Blount College. In 1807 it became East Tennessee College, in 1809 East Tennessee University, in 1879 the University of Tennessee. It is connected with the public schools and is coeducational. The trustees are nominated by the board of trustees and elected for life by the legislature, the governor, however, the secretary and the superintendent of schools being members ex officio. The university consists of a college of agriculture and of mechanical arts and of a university department. The college includes agricultural, educational, engineering, industrial and literary departments, their courses being substantially the same as those in other colleges. But the industrial department is for negroes, and is in Knoxville College. The university consists of the academic, educational, legal, medical and dental departments, the last two being at Nashville. Military science and drill are parts of the course, and are required studies for male Freshmen and Sophomores. The agricultural department organizes farmers' institutes, and the university has a farm and the state's agricultural experiment-station. The faculty numbers 157, the students 850, the library 26,000 volumes. The university controls the congressional land-grant of 1862 to Tennessee, and its income is about $125,000.