The New Student's Reference Work/Wisconsin, University of
Wisconsin, University of, at Madison, Wis., was chartered in 1848, and opened in 1849. It was reorganized in 1858, but during 1861-5 so many of its students entered the Federal army that in 1864 commencement could not be observed. In 1866 came another reorganization, and since then progress has been unbroken. The university received its national grant for founding colleges of agriculture and industrial arts; opened the regular collegiate course to women; and later established coëducation in every department. The university is the crown of Wisconsin's public schools, and graduates from the high schools do not have to pay for tuition in it. Since 1892 special courses of every kind have been added, and the postgraduate students have greatly increased in number. The university consists of the college of letters and sciences; the college of mechanics and engineering; the college of law; the college of agriculture; and the graduate school. In addition, there are a summer-school and a university-extension. The scientific and literary college offers courses not only in history, languages and sciences but in astronomy, commerce, education, home economics, medicine, normal studies and music. The college of agriculture includes the Wisconsin agricultural experiment-station, and organizes farmers' institutes. There are 26 scholarships, eight of which are for undergraduates; 31 fellowships; and four funds for loans to students. Military drills and gymnastic work are required studies for men during part of the course; but only gymnastic work for women. There are five literary and two debating societies. There also are numerous special associations. The libraries of the university and of Wisconsin Historical Society are particularly rich in works on American and English history, the Greek language and literature, the publications of learned societies in the United States, political and social science and Shakespereana. In 1911 the faculty numbered 470, the students 5,533 and the library (of the university) 122,000 volumes, while other libraries put 128,000 more at the command of the university. The state appropriates funds annually to the university. In 1907 its productive funds amounted to $591,623 and the income, including appropriations from the state, was $1,124,731. In scholarship, as in numbers, the university stands in the front rank of American colleges.