1. WITH words sent forth in holy hymns, Agni we supplicate, the Lord
Of many families who duly serve the Gods, yea, him whom others also praise.
2. Men have won Agni, him who makes their strength abound: we, with oblations, worship thee.
Our gracious-minded Helper in our deeds of might, be thou, O Excellent, this day.
3. Thee for our messenger we choose, thee, the Omniscient, for our Priest.
The flames of thee the mighty are spread wide around: thy splendour reaches to the sky.
4. The Gods enkindle thee their ancient messenger,--Varuna, Mitra, Aryaman.
That mortal man, O Agni, gains through thee all wealth, who hath poured offerings unto thee.
5. Thou, Agni, art a cheering Priest, Lord of the House, men's messenger:
All constant high decrees established by the Gods, gathered together, meet in thee.
6. In thee, the auspicious One, O Agni, youthfullest, each sacred gift is offered up:
This day, and after, gracious, worship thou our Gods, that we may have heroic sons.
7. To him in his own splendour bright draw near in worship the devout.
Men kindle Agni with their sacrificial gifts, victorious o'er the enemies.
8. Vrtra they smote and slew, and made the earth and heaven and firmament a wide abode.
The glorious Bull, invoked, hath stood at Kanva's side: loud neighed the Steed in frays for kine.
9. Seat thee, for thou art mighty; shine, best entertainer of the Gods.
Worthy of sacred food, praised Agni! loose the smoke, ruddy and beautiful to see.
10. Bearer of offerings, whom, best sacrificing Priest, the Gods for Manu's sake ordained;
Whom Kanva, whom Medhyatithi made the source of wealth, and Vrsan and Upastuta.
11. Him, Agni, whom Medhyatithi, whom Kanva kindled for his rite,
Him these our songs of praise, him, Agni, we extol: his powers shine out preeminent.
12. Make our wealth perfect thou, O Agni, Lord divine: for thou hast kinship with the Gods.
Thou rulest as a King o'er widely-famous strength: be good to us, for thou art great.
13. Stand up erect to lend us aid, stand up like Savitar the God:
Erect as strength-bestower we call aloud, with unguents and with priests, on thee.
14. Erect, preserve us from sore trouble; with thy flame burn thou each ravening demon dead.
Raise thou us up that we may walk and live: so thou shalt find our worship mid the Gods.
15. Preserve us, Agni, from the fiend, preserve us from malicious wrong.
Save us from him who fain would injure us or slay, Most Youthful, thou with lofty light.
16. Smite down as with a club, thou who hast fire for teeth, smite thou the wicked, right and left.
Let not the man who plots against us in the night, nor any foe prevail o'er us.
17. Agni hath given heroic might to Kanva, and felicity:
Agni hath helped our friends, hath helped Medhyatithi, hath helped Upastuta to win.
18. We call on Ugradeva, Yadu, Turvasa, by means of Agni, from afar;
Agni, bring Navavastva and Brhadratha, Turviti, to subdue the foe.
19. Manu hath stablished thee a light, Agni, for all the race of men:
Sprung from the Law, oil-fed, for Kanva hast thou blazed, thou whom the people reverence.
20. The flames of Agni full of splendour and of might are fearful, not to be approached.
Consume for ever all demons and sorcerers, consume thou each devouring fiend.