The Schuyler Sun/Joseph B. Sindelar
Joseph B. Sindelar
Hon. Joseph B. Sindelar as pioneer of Colfax county and a resident of Howells since 1887 died at his home Sunday morning, February 8th. Ten years ago he suffered a paralytic stroke, for which he never fully recovered. The past year he has been bedfast.
The deceased was born November 11th, 1853 in the village of Iskovice county of Tabor, Czechoslovakia, His parents being the late Mr. and Mrs. Joseph F. Sindelar. In 1867 he came to America with his parents, brother and sister. Their first stop was Chicago, where the family spent the first three years of their life in America. In 1870 they came to Colfax county settling in Lincoln precinct, near where the Tabor church now stands and about six miles southeast of Howells. Here he made his home with his parents, his brother, John J. Sindelar, his sister Josephine, who later was Mrs. J.of Chicago, and Mary now Mrs. John Poledna. Mrs. Poledna and John J. are the only members of the family now living.
On November 11th, he was united in marriage to Miss Barbara Kaspar. Seven children were born to this union namely, Joseph, Anton, Frank, William, Emil, Lambert and Emma. Only three children survive their father, Joseph E., Anton and Emma, wife of Robert Studnicka all of this city. William and Emil died in 1889. The wife and mother died July 8th, 1901, Frank died January 22, 1928 and Lambert, July 1, 1930. In 1887, the deceased moved his family to Howells and he became one of our leading business men. He continued in the mercantile business until 1901, when he sold out to his son,E. On November 11, 1902, Mr. Sindelar was married a second time to Mrs. Barbara Stover to whose two daughters he extended the love of a father.
Mr. Sindelar took an active interest in matters pertaining to the civic life of the community, county, state and nation.
In 1908 he was elected to represent Colfax county in the Nebraska state legislature and served four consecutive terms.
He served as assessor of Lincoln precinct for nineteen years. He was Colfax county’s first county assessor.
The funeral was held Wednesday morning, Rev. J. Drbal having officiated at the services at the home, and during the requiem mass at the St. John’s Nep. church. Rev. C. Petlach of Clarkson a close friend of the deceased delivered the sermon. The remains were laid to rest in the Tabor cemetery and the services at the grave were conducted by Rev. A. Folta. The large attendance at the funeral rites was evidence of the high esteem in which the deceased was held. In their hour of sorrow the mourning family has the condolence of their many friends.