The Times/1904/Obituary/William Douglas Parish

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

The Rev. William Douglas Parish, formerly Chancellor of Chichester Cathedral, who died on September 23, graduated from Trinity College, Oxford, in 1858, taking the degree of B.C.L. He was ordained deacon in 1859 and priest in 1861 by Dr. Gilbert, Bishop of Chichester, and became curate of Firle, Sussex. Four years later he was nominated by the Dean and Chapter of Chichester to the vicarage of Selmeston with Alciston, Sussex, which he held for 40 years, till his death. Bishop Durnford appointed him, in 1877, to the Chancellorship of Chichester Cathedral, but he resigned this office in 1900 and was succeeded by its present occupant, the Rev. H. M. Davey. Mr. Parish was a diligent antiquary, whose compilations included "A List of Carthusians," with biographical notes, and "The Domesday Book in Relation to the County of Sussex." He drew up dictionaries of the Kentish and the Sussex dialects , while his book on "School Attendances secured without Compulsion" (1875) is in its fifth edition.

This work was published before January 1, 1923 and it is anonymous or pseudonymous due to unknown authorship. It is in the public domain in the United States as well as countries and areas where the copyright terms of anonymous or pseudonymous works are 100 years or less since publication.