Treaty of Amsterdam/Article 7
The Treaty establishing the European Coal and Steel Community, including the annexes, protocols and other acts annexed thereto, shall be amended in accordance with the provisions of this Article for the purpose of deleting lapsed provisions of the Treaty and adapting in consequence the text of certain of its provisions.
I. TEXT OF THE ARTICLES OF THE TREATY
1. In Article 2, second paragraph, the word ‘progressively’ shall be deleted.
2. In Article 4, in the introductory part, the words ‘abolished and’ shall be deleted.
3. Article 7 shall be amended as follows:
(a) in the first indent, the words ‘a HIGH AUTHORITY (hereinafter referred to as “the Commission”)’ shall be replaced by ‘a COMMISSION’;
(b) in the second indent, the words ‘a COMMON ASSEMBLY (hereinafter referred to as “the European Parliament”)’ shall be replaced by ‘a EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT’;
(c) in the third indent, the words ‘a SPECIAL COUNCIL OF MINISTERS (hereinafter referred to as “the Council”)’ shall be replaced by ‘a COUNCIL’;
4. Article 10(3) shall be deleted.
5. In Article 16, the first and second paragraphs shall be deleted.
6. Article 21 shall be amended as follows, to include Article 1, Article 2 as amended by Article 5 of this Treaty, and Article 3(1) of the Act concerning the election of the representatives of the European Parliament by direct universal suffrage, annexed to the Council Decision of 20 September 1976; Annex II of that Act shall continue to be applied:
(a) in the place of paragraphs 1 and 2, which lapsed in accordance with Article 14 of the Act concerning the election of the representatives of the European Parliament, there shall be inserted the text of Articles 1 and 2 of the said Act as paragraphs 1 and 2; the new paragraphs 1 and 2 shall read as follows:
‘1. The representatives in the European Parliament of the peoples of the States brought together in the Community shall be elected by direct universal suffrage.
2. The number of representatives elected in each Member State shall be as follows:
In the event of amendments to this paragraph, the number of representatives elected in each Member State must ensure appropriate representation of the peoples of the States brought together in the Community.’;
(b) after the new paragraphs 1 and 2, there shall be inserted the text of Article 3(1) of the aforesaid Act as paragraph 3; the new paragraph 3 shall read as follows:
‘3. Representatives shall be elected for a term of five years.’;
(c) the existing paragraph 3 as amended by Article 3 of this Treaty shall become paragraph 4;
(d) paragraph 4 as added by Article 3 of this Treaty shall become paragraph 5.
7. In Article 32a, first paragraph, the words ‘the date of accession’ shall be replaced by ‘1 January 1995’.
8. In Article 45b(3), the second subparagraph commencing ‘However, when the first appointments . . .’ shall be deleted.
9. In Article 50, the adapted text of paragraphs 2 and 3 of Article 20 of the Treaty establishing a Single Council and a Single Commission of the European Communities shall be inserted as new paragraphs 4 and 5; the new paragraphs 4 and 5 shall accordingly read as follows:
‘4. The portion of the expenditure of the budget of the Communities covered by the levies provided for in Article 49 shall be fixed at 18 million units of account.
The Commission shall submit annually to the Council a report on the basis of which the Council shall examine whether there is reason to adjust this figure to changes in the budget of the Communities. The Council shall act by the majority laid down in the first sentence of the fourth paragraph of Article 28. The adjustment shall be made on the basis of an assessment of developments in expenditure arising from the application of this Treaty.
5. The portion of the levies assigned to cover expenditure under the budget of the Communities shall be allocated by the Commission for the implementation of that budget in accordance with the timetable provided for in the financial regulations adopted pursuant to Article 209(b) of the Treaty establishing the European Community and Article 183(b) of the Treaty establishing the Atomic Energy Community.’.
10. Article 52 shall be repealed.
11. In the place of Article 76 there shall be inserted the adapted text of Article 28, first paragraph, of the Treaty establishing a Single Council and a Single Commission of the European Communities; the new Article 76 shall accordingly read as follows:
The Community shall enjoy in the territories of the Member States such privileges and immunities as are necessary for the performance of its tasks, under the conditions laid down in the Protocol of 8 April 1965 on the privileges and immunities of the European Communities.’.
12. Article 79 shall be amended as follows:
(a) in the second sentence of the first paragraph, the part of the sentence which commences ‘as regards the Saar . . .’ shall be deleted and the semicolon shall be replaced by a full stop;
(b) after the first paragraph, a second paragraph shall be inserted as follows:
‘The provisions of this Treaty shall apply to the Åland Islands in accordance with the provisions of Protocol No 2 of the Act concerning the conditions of accession of the Republic of Austria, the Republic of Finland and the Kingdom of Sweden.’;
(c) in the existing second paragraph, in the introductory part, the words ‘Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph:’ shall be replaced by ‘Notwithstanding the preceding paragraphs:’;
(d) in the existing second paragraph, point (d) concerning the Åland Islands shall be deleted.
13. In Article 84, the words ‘Treaty and its Annexes, of the Protocols annexed thereto and of the Convention on the transitional Provisions.’ shall be replaced by ‘Treaty and its Annexes and of the Protocols annexed thereto.’
14. Article 85 shall be repealed.
15. In Article 93, the words ‘Organisation for European Economic Cooperation’ shall be replaced by ‘Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development’.
16. In Article 95, third paragraph, the words ‘If, after the end of the transitional period provided in the Convention on the Transitional Provisions, unforeseen difficulties . . .’ shall be replaced by ‘If unforeseen difficulties . . .’.
17. In Article 97, the wording ‘This Treaty is concluded for a period of 50 years from its entry into force.’ shall be replaced by ‘This Treaty shall expire on 23 July 2002.’.
II. TEXT OF ANNEX III ‘Special steels’
At the end of Annex III, the initials of the plenipotentiaries of the Heads of State and Government shall be deleted.
III. PROTOCOLS AND OTHER ACTS ANNEXED TO THE TREATY
1. The following acts shall be repealed:
(a) Exchange of letters between the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Government of the French Republic concerning the Saar;
(b) Convention on the Transitional Provisions.
2. The Protocol on the Statute of the Court of Justice of the European Coal and Steel Community shall be amended as follows:
(a) Titles I and II of the Protocol shall be replaced by the text of Titles I and II of the Protocol on the Statute of the Court of Justice of the European Community annexed to the Treaty establishing the European Community;
(b) Article 56 shall be repealed and the heading ‘Transitional provision’ which precedes it shall be deleted;
(c) the list of signatories shall be deleted.
3. The Protocol on relations with the Council of Europe shall be amended as follows:
(a) Article 1 shall be repealed;
(b) the list of signatories shall be deleted.