United Nations Security Council Resolution 146
Adopted by the Security Council at its 886th meeting, by 9 votes to none, with 2 abstentions (France, Italy), on 9 August 1960
The Security Council,
Recalling its resolution 145 (1960) of 22 July 1960, inter alia calling upon the Government of Belgium to implement speedily Security Council resolution 143 (1960) of 14 July 1960 on the withdrawal of its troops and authorizing the Secretary-General to take all necessary action to this effect,
Having noted the second report of the Secretary-General  on the implementation of the aforesaid two resolutions and his statement before the Council ,
Having considered the statements made by the representatives of Belgium and the Republic of the Congo to the Council at this meeting ,
Noting with satisfaction the progress made by the United Nations in carrying out the Security Council resolutions in respect of the territory of the Republic of the Congo other than the province of Katanga,
Noting however that the United Nations had been prevented from implementing the aforesaid resolutions in the province of Katanga although it was ready, and in fact attempted, to do so,
Recognizing that the withdrawal of Belgian troops from the province of Katanga will be a positive contribution to and essential for the proper implementation of the Council's resolutions,
1. Confirms the authority given to the Secretary-General by Security Council resolutions 143 (1960) and 145 (1960) and requests him to continue to carry out the responsibility placed on him thereby;
2. Calls upon the Government of Belgium to withdraw immediately its troops from the province of Katanga under speedy modalities determined by the Secretary-General and to assist in every possible way the implementation of the Council's resolutions;
3. Declares that the entry of the United Nations Force into the province of Katanga is necessary for the full implementation of the present resolution;
4. Reaffirms that the United Nations Force in the Congo will not be a party to or in any way intervene in or be used to influence the outcome of any internal conflict, constitutional or otherwise;
5. Calls upon all Member States, in accordance with Articles 25 and 49 of the Charter of the United Nations, to accept and carry out the decisions of the Security Council and to afford mutual assistance in carrying out the measures decided upon by the Council;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to implement the present resolution and to report further to the Security Council as appropriate.
 Official Records of the Security Council, Fifteenth year, Supplement for July, August, and September 1960, documents S/4417 and Add.1/Rev.1 and Add.2.
 Ibid., Fifteenth Year, 884th meeting, paras. 10-35.
 The meeting referred to is the 885th meeting, held on 8 August 1960, at which the draft resolution was submitted.