United Nations Security Council Resolution 262
Adopted unanimously by the Security Council at its 1462nd meeting, on 31 December 1968
The Security Council,
Having considered the agenda contained in document S/Agenda/1462,
Having noted the contents of the letter of the Permanent Representative of Lebanon (S/8945),
Having noted the supplementary information provided by the Chief of Staff of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization contained in documents S/7930/Add.107 and Add.108,
Having heard the statements of the representative of Lebanon and of the representative of Israel concerning the grave attack committed against the civil international Airport of Beirut,
Observing that the military action by the armed forces of Israel against the civil International Airport of Beirut was premeditated and of a large scale and carefully planned nature,
Gravely concerned about the deteriorating situation resulting from this violation of the Security Council resolutions,
Deeply concerned about the need to assure free uninterrupted international civil air traffic,
1. Condemns Israel for its premeditated military action in violation of its obligations under the Charter and the cease-fire resolutions;
2. Considers that such premeditated acts of violence endanger the maintenance of the peace;
3. Issues a solemn warning to Israel that if such acts were to be repeated, the Council would have to consider further steps to give effect to its decisions;
4. Considers that Lebanon it has suffered, responsibility for which has been acknowledged by Israel.
This work is excerpted from an official document of the United Nations. The policy of this organisation is to keep most of its documents in the public domain in order to disseminate "as widely as possible the ideas (contained) in the United Nations Publications".
- Official records (proceedings of conferences, verbatim and summary records, …)
- United Nations documents issued with a UN symbol
- Public information material designed primarily to inform the public about United Nations activities (not including public information material that is offered for sale).
Public domainPublic domainfalse