United Nations Security Council Resolution 278
Adopted unanimously by the Security Council at its 1536th meeting, on 11 May 1970
The Security Council,
Noting the communication from the Secretary-General to the Security Council of 28 March 1970,
Noting also the statements made by the representatives of Iran and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in their letters to the Secretary-General of 9 and 20 March 1970, respectively,
1. Endorses the report of the Personal Representative of the Secretary-General, which has been circulated to the Security Council, under cover of a note from the Secretary General, on 30 April 1970:
2. Welcomes the conclusions and findings of the report, in particular that "the overwhelming majority of the people of Bahrain wish to gain recognition of their identity in a full independent and sovereign State free to decide for itself its relations with other States".
This work is excerpted from an official document of the United Nations. The policy of this organisation is to keep most of its documents in the public domain in order to disseminate "as widely as possible the ideas (contained) in the United Nations Publications".
Pursuant to UN Administrative Instruction ST/AI/189/Add.9/Rev.2 available in English only, these documents are in the public domain worldwide:
- Official records (proceedings of conferences, verbatim and summary records, …)
- United Nations documents issued with a UN symbol
- Public information material designed primarily to inform the public about United Nations activities (not including public information material that is offered for sale).