United Nations Security Council Resolution 347
Adopted by 13 votes to none, by the Security Council at its 1769th meeting, on 24 April 1974
The Security Council
Having considered the agenda item contained in document S/Agenda/1769/Rev.1,
Having noted the contents of the letters dated 12 and 13 April 1974 from the Permanent Representative of Lebanon (S/11263 and S/11264) and the letter dated 11 April 1974 from the Permanent Representative of Israel (S/11259),
Having heard the statements of the Foreign Minister of Lebanon and of the representative of Israel,
Recalling its previous relevant resolutions,
Deeply disturbed at the continuation of acts of violence,
Gravely concerned that such acts might endanger efforts now taking place to bring about a just and lasting peace in the Middle East,
1. Condemns Israel's violation of Lebanon's territorial integrity and sovereignty and calls once more on the Government of Israel to refrain from further military actions and threats against Lebanon;
2. Condemns all acts of violence, especially those which result in the tragic loss of innocent civilian life, and urges all concerned to refrain from any further acts of violence;
3. Calls upon all Government concerned to respect their obligations under the Charter of the United Nations and international law;
4. Calls upon Israel forthwith to release and return to Lebanon the abducted Lebanese civilians;
5. Calls upon all parties to refrain from any action which might endanger negotiations aimed at achieving a just and lasting peace in the Middle East.
This work is excerpted from an official document of the United Nations. The policy of this organisation is to keep most of its documents in the public domain in order to disseminate "as widely as possible the ideas (contained) in the United Nations Publications".
Pursuant to UN Administrative Instruction ST/AI/189/Add.9/Rev.2 available in English only, these documents are in the public domain worldwide:
- Official records (proceedings of conferences, verbatim and summary records, …)
- United Nations documents issued with a UN symbol
- Public information material designed primarily to inform the public about United Nations activities (not including public information material that is offered for sale).