United Nations Security Council Resolution 49
Adopted by the Security Council at its 302nd meeting, by 8 votes to none, with 3 abstentions (Syria, Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics), on 22 May 1948
The Security Council,
Taking into consideration that previous resolutions of the Security Council in respect to Palestine have not been complied with and that military operations are taking place in Palestine,
1. Calls upon all Governments and authorities, without prejudice to the rights, claims or positions of the parties concerned, to abstain from any hostile military action in Palestine and to that end to issue a cease-fire order to their military and paramilitary forces to become effective within thirty-six hours after midnight New York standard time on 22 May 1948;
2. Calls upon the Truce Commission and upon all parties concerned to give the highest priority to the negotation and maintenance of a truce in the City of Jerusalem;
3. Directs the Truce Commission established by the Security Council by its resolution 48 (1948) of 23 April 1948 to report to the Council on the compliance with the two preceding paragraphs of the present resolution;
4. Calls upon all parties concerned to facilitate by all means in their power the task of the United Nations mediator appointed in execution of General Assembly resolution 186 (S-2) of 14 May 1948.
This work is excerpted from an official document of the United Nations. The policy of this organisation is to keep most of its documents in the public domain in order to disseminate "as widely as possible the ideas (contained) in the United Nations Publications".
- Official records (proceedings of conferences, verbatim and summary records, …)
- United Nations documents issued with a UN symbol
- Public information material designed primarily to inform the public about United Nations activities (not including public information material that is offered for sale).
Public domainPublic domainfalse