United States Code/Title 17/Chapter 10/Section 1002
(a) PROHIBITION ON IMPORTATION, MANUFACTURE, AND DISTRIBUTION.—No person shall import, manufacture, or distribute any digital audio recording device or digital audio interface device that does not conform to—
- (1) the Serial Copy Management System;
- (2) a system that has the same functional characteristics as the Serial Copy Management System and requires that copyright and generation status information be accurately sent, received, and acted upon between devices using the system's method of serial copying regulation and devices using the Serial Copy Management System; or
- (3) any other system certified by the Secretary of Commerce as prohibiting unauthorized serial copying.
(b) DEVELOPMENT OF VERIFICATION PROCEDURE.—The Secretary of Commerce shall establish a procedure to verify, upon the petition of an interested party, that a system meets the standards set forth in subsection (a)(2).
(c) PROHIBITION ON CIRCUMVENTION OF THE SYSTEM.—No person shall import, manufacture, or distribute any device, or offer or perform any service, the primary purpose or effect of which is to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or otherwise circumvent any program or circuit which implements, in whole or in part, a system described in subsection (a).
(d) ENCODING OF INFORMATION ON DIGITAL MUSICAL RECORDINGS.—
- (1) Prohibition on encoding inaccurate information.—No person shall encode a digital musical recording of a sound recording with inaccurate information relating to the category code, copyright status, or generation status of the source material for the recording.
- (2) Encoding of copyright status not required.—Nothing in this chapter requires any person engaged in the importation or manufacture of digital musical recordings to encode any such digital musical recording with respect to its copyright status.
(e) INFORMATION ACCOMPANYING TRANSMISSION IN DIGITAL FORMAT.—Any person who transmits or otherwise communicates to the public any sound recording in digital format is not required under this chapter to transmit or otherwise communicate the information relating to the copyright status of the sound recording. Any such person who does transmit or otherwise communicate such copyright status information shall transmit or communicate such information accurately.
Section 1002 was added by the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 (Pub. L. 102-563, Oct. 28, 1992, 106 Stat. 4237).