United States Code/Title 28/Appendix/Federal Rules of Civil Procedure/Rule 7
Rule 7. Pleadings Allowed; Form of Motions and Other Papers
(a) Pleadings. Only these pleadings are allowed:
- (1) a complaint;
- (2) an answer to a complaint;
- (3) an answer to a counterclaim designated as a counterclaim;
- (4) an answer to a crossclaim;
- (5) a third-party complaint;
- (6) an answer to a third-party complaint; and
- (7) if the court orders one, a reply to an answer.
(b) Motions and Other Papers.
- (1) In General. A request for a court order must be made by motion. The motion must:
- (A) be in writing unless made during a hearing or trial;
- (B) state with particularity the grounds for seeking the order; and
- (C) state the relief sought.
- (2) Form. The rules governing captions and other matters of form in pleadings apply to motions and other papers.