United States Code/Title 3/Chapter 5/Subchapter 1
§ 401. Definitions
(a) In General.— Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter, as used in this chapter:
- (1) Board.— The term “Board” means the Merit Systems Protection Board under chapter 12 of title 5.
- (2) Covered employee.— The term “covered employee” means any employee of an employing office.
- (3) Employee.— The term “employee” includes an applicant for employment and a former employee.
- (4) Employing office.— The term “employing office” means—
- (A) each office, agency, or other component of the Executive Office of the President;
- (B) the Executive Residence at the White House; and
- (C) the official residence (temporary or otherwise) of the Vice President.
(b) Definitions Relating to Certain Matters.— For purposes of applying this chapter with respect to any practice or other matter—
- (1) to which section 411 relates, the terms “employing office” and “covered employee” shall each be considered to have the meaning given to the term by such section;
- (2) to which section 412 relates, the term “covered employee” means a covered employee described in section 412 (a)(2)(B);
- (3) to which section 413 relates, the term “covered employee” excludes interns and volunteers, as described in section 413 (a)(2); and
- (4) to which section 416 relates, the term “covered employee” means a covered employee described in section 416 (a)(2).
§ 402. Application of laws
The following laws shall apply, as prescribed by this chapter, to all employing offices (including employing offices within the meaning of section 411, to the extent prescribed therein):
- (1) The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.
- (2) Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- (3) The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- (4) The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.
- (5) The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.
- (6) The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970.
- (7) Chapter 71 (relating to Federal service labor-management relations) of title 5.
- (8) The Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988.
- (9) The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act.
- (10) The Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- (11) Chapter 43 (relating to veterans’ employment and reemployment) of title 38.