|← ←Wikisource News||Wikisource News (articles)|
New bot and administrator, confirmation
- Sherurcij was granted administrator access following a self-nomination. The discussion became the lengthiest since the English Wikisource was founded, and the first to pass without unanimity.
- Zhaladshar's ZSBot was given a bot flag following a successful request. It is based on the DotNetWikiBot Framework and is primarily intended for page and category moves, and interwiki linking.
- Politicaljunkie's administrator access is scheduled for confirmation over September.
August 2007's featured text:
September 2007's featured text:
- Text units
- French Wikisource reached 30,000;
- Italian Wikisource reached 15,000;
- Catalan Wikisource reached 1,000.
Unified login nears beta
The Unified login (previously single-user login) extension will be in "opt-in beta for actual logins over the next couple of weeks", said its main developer Brion Vibber. In the meantime, users can try a demo unification of their accounts at testwiki:Special:MergeAccount.
What is it?
- Unified login is a long-awaited feature that allows a user to register a user name on all Wikimedia wikis, and share certain settings. A recent addition to the extension is the concept of a "home wiki", a user-selectable main wiki which defines shared settings.
- The feature was first requested in August 2004. Unified login has been in quiet development by Brion Vibber, paid Wikimedia developer, for an unknown period of time. He discussed how it might work in the December 2005 Berlin roundup, uploaded implementation notes to the code base in April 2006, and it was the subject of a presentation at Wikimania in August 2006. In late November 2006, Brion announced a successful migration test and suggested that it might be implemented in January 2007 (see story); that deadline passed without comment. The feature has been substantially improved since that time.
- Although little is known about the project, [MediaWiki:Youhavenewmessagesmulti|an interface message] suggests that detection of messages will eventually be unified as well (however, Brion notes that this will remain local at first). Brion comments in the implementation notes that user rights will remain local, so administrators will not have administrator access everywhere. User preferences will also remain local, although the email address will only need to be set and confirmed in one place.
- Unified login is not intended to allow different user names on different projects. Users with multiple user names will not be able to unify their accounts, although this might be possible in later improvements.
- Redirects now work with URL-encoded page titles (like "
- Special:Protectedpages no longer lists the MediaWiki namespace as an option (pages in that namespace are automatically protected and cannot be unprotected).
- The 'undo' feature no longer fails when using the URL parameter "
- Special pages
- Bureaucrats can now leave a summary when renaming a user.
- Links to blocked users' talk pages are now shown on the block log and on Special:Ipblocklist.
- The image deletion confirmation page now accepts the URL parameter
&wpReason=reasonfor the deletion reason.
- Special:Newpages now accepts the URL parameter
&username=usernameto filter by a specific contributor (previously it was necessary to type the username in the form).
- Keyboard shortcuts for user preferences and the upload link have been added, respectively 9 and s (for example, Firefox uses alt-shift-9).
- Overwriting existing files are now distinguished in the logs from uploading new files with [MediaWiki:Overwroteimage].
Google provides text versions of public domain books
Petition for US rule of the shorter term
The "Reclaim the Rule of the Shorter Term Petition" seeks to pass the Public Domain Enhancement Act in US Congress, which includes clauses such as acceptance of the shorter copyright term when a work is no longer copyrighted in its home country. For more information, see m:American non-acceptance of the rule of the shorter term.
- "Century Magazine/Volume 57/Issue 4/Cole's Old English Masters. John Opie" (Featured text candidates, April–July 2007)
- "Finished with the War: A Soldier’s Declaration" (Featured text candidates, July–August 2007)
- 2007 m:Wikimedia News
- "News and notes" (Wikipedia Signpost, 06 August 2007)
- Unified login:
- "Bugs, Repairs, and Internal Operational News" (Wikipedia Signpost, 06 August 2007)
- Bug reports:
- "Bugs, Repairs, and Internal Operational News" (Wikipedia Signpost, 20 August 2007)
- "Bugs, Repairs, and Internal Operational News" (Wikipedia Signpost, 27 August 2007)
- Feature requests:
- bug 5206: "Navigationlink 'preferences' doesn't have an accesskey"
- bug 10655: "Link to talk page in block log message"
- bug 10819: "Allow users to leave a comment when renaming users"
- bug 10937: "Distinguish overwritten files in upload log"
- bug 11001: "Use GET instead of POST for username selection in Special:Newpages"
- bug 11079: "Make &wpReason=*** url parameter work for image deletion pages"
- "Greater access to public domain works for all users" (Google Books blog, 03 July 2007)
- "Great news from Google Books" (Scriptorium, 31 July 2007)
- m:American non-acceptance of the rule of the shorter term
- "Petition to claim the rule of the shorter term (Scriptorium, June 2007)
- "Need even more signatures to fight the American non-acceptance of the rule of the shorter term" (Scriptorium, August 2007)