Woman of the Century/Jennie de la Montagnie Lozier
LOZIER Mrs. Jennie de la Montagnie, physician and president of Sorosis, was born in New York, and has been a lifelong resident of that city. Her father was William de la Montagnie. jr. JENNIE DE LA MONTAGNIS LOZIER. Her ancestors were Dutch and Huguenot French, who settled there as early as 1633. She was born and reared in the old seventh ward of New York, then the best portion of the city. She was thoroughly educated, and was a graduate of Rutgers* Female Institute, now Rutgers' Female College, of which she is a trustee, and which, in 1891, conferred upon her the degree of Doctor of Science. Her education was liberal, including languages and science. After her graduation she traveled in the West Indies. When she was nineteen years old, she began to teach, and several years later became instructor in languages and literature in Hillsdale College. Hillsdale. Mich. She was afterward chosen vice-principal of the woman's department of that college. Returning to New York in 1872. she became the wife of Dr. A. W. Lozier. the only son of Dr. Clemence S. Lozier, who had been her lifelong friend. The young college professor became the head of a family at once, as her husband was a widower with two children. She became interested in medicine through her mother-in-law, Dr. Clemence S. Lozier, who was the founder and for twenty-five years the dean of the New York Medical College and Hospital for Women. The young wife studied in that college was graduated M.D., after her first and only child was born, and was made professor of physiology in the institution. She also served on the hospital staff. After twelve years of faithful service Sirs. Lozier retired from the profession and devoted herself to domestic, social and educational interests. Just before her retirement she was invited by Sorosis to address that club on "Physical Culture." She was soon made a member of Sorosis, and at once became prominent in its councils. She is a forceful speaker, clear-brained, broad-minded and thoroughly cultured. In Sorosis she has served as chairman of the committee on science, as chairman of the committee on philanthropy and as corresponding secretary. She was elected president in 1891, and was reelected in 1892. In 1892 she was sent as a delegate to the biennial council of the Federation of Women's Clubs, held in Chicago nth, 12th and 13th of May, and she read an able paper on the " Educational Influence of Women's Clubs." Her activities have been numerous. In 1889 she was sent by the New York Medical College and Hospital for Women as a delegate to the International Homeopathic Congress in Paris. She there presented a paper, in French, on the medical education of women in the United States, which was printed in full in the transactions of that congress. She is the president of two other important clubs. The Emerson, a club of men and women belonging to Rev. Dr. Heber Newton's church, of which she is a member, and The Avon, a fortnightly drawing-room club. She is a member of the science committee of the Association for the Advancement of Women, and is also a member of the Patria Club. She has read papers of great merit before various literary and reform associations in and near New York City. Her family consists of two sons and one daughter. Their summers are spent in their summer home on the great South Bay, Long Island, in a pleasantly situated villa named "Windhurst." Her husband, Dr. Lozier. gave up his practice some time ago. and is now engaged in the real-estate and building business in New York. Their winter home, in Seventy-eighth street. New York, is an ideal one in all its appointments and associations. Mrs. Lozier is strongly inclined to scientific study and investigation, but she is also a student of literature and art. She speaks for the liberal and thorough education of women, not only in art and music, but also in chemistry, social economics, psychology, pedagogy and physiology. Her influence as a club-woman has been widely felt, and as president of Sorosis she occupies a commanding position in the new field of social, literary and general culture opened to women by the clubs.