Woman of the Century/Lydia Evans Hogue
HOGUE, Mrs. Lydia Evans, educator, born in Crawford county, Pa., near Meadville, 14th April, 1856. Her maiden name was F^vans. Her father, Henry Harrison Evans, was the son of Peter and Elsie Evans, of Crawford county. Peter was born LYDIA EVANS HOGUE. in Lancaster county, of Welsh descent. Elsie Hadley was a native of Chautauqua county, N. Y., and a cousin of Governor Fenton. Mrs. Hogue's mother, Mary Kemble Evans, was a native of East Liverpool, Ohio, of English descent and a relative of Mad Anthony Wayne. When Lydia was eight years old, her father sold his farm and moved to Tidioute, Pa. , to engage in the mercantile business and oil speculation. In the "oily days" of that village she was kept in private schools under the best teachers. At eleven years of age she was sent to Cattaraugus county, N. Y., where she was graduated in gymnastics at the age of thirteen, and pursued piano music and literary and scientific studies. While at home in vacation, the boarding hall of Chamberlain Institute was burned, and she and her sister entered the Pennsylvania State Normal school in Edinburgh, where she was graduated in 1875. After graduation she began to teach in Grandintown. The next year she was called to the high school of Tidioute, where she taught for eight years. In 1885 she w;is elected preceptress of the high school of Oil City, which place she resigned in 18N6 to become the wife of Prof. S. F. Hogue and the preceptress of Defiance College, with Dr. Hogue as president. That school was crippled in finances, and they left it to accept positions in the State Normal School in California, Pa. In 1888 and 1889 they laid the foundation of Redstone Academy, in Uniontown, Pa. In 1890 they accepted the presidency and preceptorship of Monongahela College, in Jefferson, Pa., where she is now laboring. In her spare moments Mrs. Hogue writes for journals, and is preparing a text-hook on calisthenics and gymnastics. She was graduated in the first class of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle, in 1882, and attended the lectures. She was a student in the school of languages, afterwards the college of liberal arts, in Chautauqua for a number of years. Her work in the class-room is of the best character. She has taken the degrees B.E.D., M.E.D. and A.M. She has one son, Frank William Hogue.