Woman of the Century/Minerva Walker
WALKER, Mrs. Minerva, physician, born in Clintondale. N. Y., 12th May, 1853. Her maiden name was Palmer. Her parents and grandfather were born in the same State and were Quakers. Minerva lived in Clinton county. Iowa, from the age of two years to that of sixteen, on a farm. Her father was a farmer, nurseryman and fruit-grower. She was educated in a preparatory course for college in the Nurserymen's Academy and in the union school of Geneva, N. Y. She took a three-year course in the department of letters in Cornell University. She left that school on account of a change in pecuniary circumstances, and taught a year in a private school. MINERVA WALKER. The next year she began the study of medicine in a doctor's office and in the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was graduated there in 1880. She spent the next year in the New England Hospital for Women and and Children, in Boston Highlands, and in the dispensary connected with it. Her time since that has been occupied in general and sanitarium practice, with a few months of study in the hospitals of Paris, France. She was one of the resident physicians for over five years in the Elmira Water Cure, and during the four years after she had some patient living with her in her home, in Rochester, N. Y. She is a member of the Monroe County Medical Society, of the Western New York State Medical Society, of the Practitioner's Society of the City of Rochester, N. Y., and of the Provident Dispensary of the same place. She was one of two women physicians appointed on the board of city physicians, in the spring of 1890. On 12th May, 1892. she became the wife of C. S. Walker, of Charleston, W. Va., where she now lives.