1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Swinton
SWINTON, an urban district in the Rotherham parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 10 ½ m. N.E. of Sheffield, on the Midland, North Eastern and Great Central railways. Pop. (1891), 9705; (1901), 12,217. It is situated at the junction of the Dearne and Dove navigation with the river Don navigation. In the churchyard of St Margaret's church (rebuilt in 1817) two beautiful Norman arches of the old church are preserved. There are collieries, quarries and brickfields in the neighbourhood. There are also flint and glass- bottle works, ironworks (for stoves, grates, fenders and kitchen ranges), and earthenware manufactures. The town was formerly renowned for its Rockingham ware. A free warren was granted to Swinton by Henry II.