1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Swinton and Pendlebury
SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY, an urban district in the Eccles parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 5 m. N.W. of Manchester, with stations on the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway. Pop. (1901), 27,005. The church of St Peter, a fine building of stone with a lofty western tower, was erected from the designs of Sir Gilbert Scott in 1869. The Swinton industrial schools, opened in February 1846, are a fine range of buildings of brick with stone facings, surrounded with grounds extending to 20 acres. The manufacture of cotton, and coal- mining are the chief industries. Anciently a large part of Swinton was possessed by the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem.