A Dictionary of Music and Musicians/Harvard Musical Association, The

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HARVARD MUSICAL ASSOCIATION, THE, Boston, U.S.A., sprang in 1837 from a half social, half musical club formed in 1808 among the undergraduates in Harvard University, and known as the 'Pierian Sodality.' Besides strengthening the ties of friendship, it was the hope of the founders to raise the standard of musical taste in the college; to prepare the way for a musical professorship there; and to collect a library which should contain both music and musical literature in all its branches. These hopes have all been fulfilled. Furthermore, by means of its public concerts, the taste of music-lovers in Boston has been elevated, and a marked influence exercised on the composition of concert-programmes throughout a large part of the Union. Fourteen series of concerts, of from six to ten each, have been given, beginning in 1865, all, with a few exceptions, under the direction of Mr. Carl Zerrahn. The programmes have included the standard orchestral compositions of the great masters, varied by instrumental and vocal solos and choral performances. The library of the Association, selected with great care, and with special attention to the collection of complete sets, in the best editions, of the works of the greatest composers, now numbers about 2,500 volumes. Of the original members but three survive Mr. John S. Dwight, president; Mr. Henry W. Pickering, ex-president; and Mr. Henry Gassett. Among its members have been included many distinguished graduates from the University to which it owes its name and origin, as well as numerous musical professors and amateurs who have not walked in the academic groves. The head-quarters of the Association are at 12, Pemberton Square, Boston, and the Concerts are held at the Music Hall. [App. p.669 "For continuations see Boston Musical Societies in Appendix, vol. iv. p. 555."]

[ F. H. J. ]