75%

Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography/Hadley, James

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HADLEY, James, philologist, b. in Fairfield, N. Y., 30 March, 1821; d. in New Haven, Conn., 14 Nov., 1872. He received his early instruction at the Fairfield academy, and also acquired some scientific knowledge from his father, who was professor of chemistry in the College of physicians and surgeons of the western district of New York in Fairfield. Subsequently the son became an assistant in the academy, but afterward entered Yale as a junior, and was graduated in 1842. After a year spent as a resident graduate, he entered the theological seminary, where he remained for two years, except from September, 1844, till April, 1845, when he was tutor in mathematics at Middlebury college. In September, 1845, he became tutor of classical history in Yale, which office he held for three years, when he was appointed assistant professor of Greek. He continued as such until July, 1851, when he succeeded President Theodore D. Woolsey as full professor, and continued to hold the chair until his death. Prof. Hadley's philological studies made him known throughout the world. He was also well versed in civil law. His course of lectures on that subject was included in the curriculum of the Yale law-school, and was likewise delivered at Harvard. He was also one of the American committee for the revision of the New Testament. Prof. Hadley was one of the original members of the American Oriental society, and its president in 1870-'2, an active member of the American philological association and of the National academy of sciences. He was a frequent contributor to reviews, and his larger works were “A Greek Grammar for Schools and Colleges” (New York, 1860); “A Brief History of the English Language,” contributed as an introduction to Webster's “American Dictionary of the English Language” (Springfield, 1864); and “Elements of the Greek Language” (New York, 1869). After his death there appeared, edited by President Woolsey, twelve lectures on “Roman Law” (New York, 1873), and a series of twenty “Philological and Critical Essays” (1873), edited by Prof. William D. Whitney. — His brother, Henry Hamilton, educator, b. in Fairfield, N. Y., 19 July, 1826; d. in Washington, D. C., 1 Aug., 1864, was graduated at Yale in 1845, with the highest honors of his class. Subsequently he held the office of tutor for two years, meanwhile pursuing theological studies, and finally completed his course at Andover in 1853. He then spent some time in New York studying law, but returned to New Haven, and there spent more than three years in theological pursuits, especially in a systematic study of the Hebrew language and the Old Testament scriptures. In 1858 he became instructor of sacred literature in Union theological seminary, New York, and accepted the chair of Hebrew there in 1862. During 1861 he held the professorship of Hebrew in the theological department of Yale. At the beginning of the civil war he was prevented by his friends from enlisting in the army, but paid for two substitutes from his own purse. During the summer vacation of 1864 he offered his time for the work of the U. S. sanitary commission, and was sent to City Point, Va., where his excessive labors and the hot weather induced fever, from the effects of which he died. His publications were confined to articles that he contributed to the “American Theological Review.” — Arthur Twining, son of James, political economist, b. in New Haven, Conn., 23 April, 1856, was graduated at Yale in 1876, and then studied in the University of Berlin. In 1879 he became a tutor at Yale, and in 1883 was appointed lecturer on political science, becoming professor of that subject in 1886. He was appointed commissioner of labor statistics of Connecticut in 1885, and in that capacity published reports in 1885 and 1886. Prof. Hadley has made a special study of railroads, and contributed much to periodicals on that subject. He has written an article on “Railway Legislation” for the “Encyclopædia Britannica” (1885), a series for Lalor's “Cyclopædia of Political Science” (1884), and “Railroad Transportation; its History and its Laws” (New York, 1885), which has been translated into French and Russian.