|←Author Index: Ba||George Bancroft
|American historian and statesman who was prominent in promoting secondary education both in his home state and at the national level. During his tenure as U.S. Secretary of the Navy, he established the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1845.|
- History of the United States of America, from the discovery of the American continent. (Boston: Little, Brown, and company, numerous editions in 8 or 10 volumes 1854-78). online edition
- History of the battle of Lake Erie: and miscellaneous papers (New York: R. Bonner's sons, 1891, 292 pp.; with Oliver Dyer) at archive.org
- “James K. Polk” in The Presidents of the United States, 1789-1914, 1914.
Works about Bancroft
- “Bancroft, George,” by Samuel Austin Allibone in Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography, New York: D. Appleton and Co. (1900)
- “Bancroft, George”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911